- Sterilized jars
- First we scalded the tomatoes in simmering water for easy peeling
- Peeled tomatoes
- Chopped onions, garlic, sweet and hot peppers (make sure to use gloves – I also made it a point to take my contacts out before starting this venture, nothing says, “youch!” like hot pepper in the eye)
- Threw it all in a couple stockpots to simmer with some vinegar, a little brown sugar and salt – upwards of 3 hours (we didn’t do it nearly as long as the recipe said)
- Just before ladling into jars we added some lime, fresh garlic and chopped cilantro
- Ladled to within 1/2″ of top of jar
- Topped with sterilized lids and rings, tightened
- Immersed jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
I’ve been eating piles of it. We used a few long hot peppers and a couple jalapenos to two grocery-sized bags of tomatoes. We got an awesome medium heat and it is very smooth.
What a great way to spend an evening.